This is a general problem that applies not just to CNC machines.  What
to do if the human interface allows a human to tell a machine to do
something it can't do?    In this case the interface allows you to
command the axis to move faster then it can.  The best design is to
prevent this.  You'd need to have some kind of force feedback, a
torque or brake applied to the command wheel to prevent you from
turning it to fast.  Cheaper solution is a big red LED that lights up
as you approach 90% of the maximum speed.  Or in place of the LED a
vibrator motor to shake the wheel.

In any case, I think it is always a design error if an interface
accepts commands that cannot be executed and gives no user feedback.
In that case the interface is broken by a design error.   Best case is
that it is logically impossible to over drive the machine with the
interface.   Maybe an example of this is that a control wheel can
always be rotated at any speed but the position of the wheel is
indicated by an LCD numeric display above the wheel that shows where
the actual position the machine is really at. (some microwave timers
and radio tuner dials work this way

A more general idea is the concept of "correctness".  There are at
least two levels
1) given correct input the computer produces correct output and
2) in addition to #1 above, given incorrect input the computer does
not produce incorrect output.
Level #1 is usually easy to implement but for most real-world systems
you need #2 even if it is much harder to implement.

I think what you have is a level 1 correct controller.

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 9:05 PM, Todd                      Zuercher
<zuerc...@embarqmail.com> wrote:
> If the problem is that your able to turn the handwheel fast enough to exceed
> the maximum velocity for the axis and build up a store of pulses.  Perhaps
> you should consider limiting the step size generated by the handwheel to one
> small enough that it is not possible to easily over run the max velocity of
> the axis.  I have seen similar behavior even in large expensive commercial
> machines with Fanuc controls.  Granted you have to turn the wheel really
> fast, faster than you can sustain for a long enough period to build up a
> significant overrun but it is detectable.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California