Nicklas hello
some notes in line...

On 06/19/16 17:55, Nicklas Karlsson wrote:
> I tried to tune parameters manually but most of the time is spent either in
> short circuit or open circuit,
this is called 'hammering'
it actually works but for a poor reason.
if the tools is too far away, you are open
if the tool is too close, it is shorting
For a brief time in transit between these 2 states you DO achieve the
proper position
and you get _some_ sparks.

the idea is to find the ideal position where sparks occur easily
yiu can find this if you can control the 'edm servo'.

>   see the attached picture. Almost white color is voltage in ADC units and
> red is adaptive speed, machining is happening in the middle.
You attached the circuit , not a trace of the process inputs and outputs.
> I have no idea if this is normal or bad tuning.
please use a real oscilloscope and monitor your circuits output
and your cut's gap voltage

ignore vertical scale and observe that shorts ( on the gap volatge) very
quickly create an outfeed command ( on your circuit )

observe open (no load voltages) create an infeed command
( this explanation assumes positive tool, neagtive work piece, copper or
graphite tool,
and a pulse generator with on and off times , an rc generator look quite
different )

you likely see opens and shorts but only brief sequences of cutting pulses
and so are unable to achieve a 'steady' process from your description.

I suggest that you observe the cutting on the oscilloscope:
look for signals that look like chairs , like an old straight backed
wooden chair
these pulses are cutting, and inside a real cutting pulse is some
information you need. On Sun, 19 Jun

see
http://nopr.niscair.res.in/bitstream/123456789/13597/1/IJEMS%2018%286%29%20411-415.pdf

the important bit is the voltage level of the 'seat'
IF you tune your circuit to track (servo) near this value
THEN the process will stabilize

in my experience its near 30Vdc for Cu or Gr to Steel
so my circuits allow the user to choose the traget voltage (near 30 for
the smart operators)
and my circuit finds the ERROR of the real process to the chose target value
That error is fed to drive the motors,

When the system see no error, it does not request any motion
But the error is based on the ideal, not 0 not 100Volts, but the
_natural discharge value_
of the materials and dielectric in use!

HTH
tomp tjtr33

( theres lots of explanations of this on the web
the best i know was Hr. Schumacher ex- of AGie
its been stolen and copied by most edm manufacturers in their books.
once you see the original you can recognize all the bad copies ;-)
its a series of the different stages of one spark
the magnetic phase, the thermal phase, hydraulic phase,,,
quite a good explanation without needing words.
sorry i cant find a web copy right now
nope 1/2 hr and no originals found, sorry
oh this is pretty good
http://edmtechman.com/about.cfm?pg=2&chap=2#a1