On Tuesday 26 July 2016 04:00:33 Bruce Layne wrote:

> We're in the same time zone, so it's the middle of the night here as
> well.  :-)
>
> If your VFD will communicate via RS485, you should be able to plug an
> RS232 to RS485 converter (about $8 delivered from Amazon) into the
> serial port and later LinuxCNC versions should be able to talk to the
> inverter without much trouble and without bothering Peter for MESA
> help.  I haven't done this.  It's second hand info from Russ' video,
> but he makes it look easy.
>
> Good luck!

For newer pc w/o the serial port, how hard is it to get lcnc to talk to a
usb<->RS-485 cable?  They seem to run in the 20 dollar range, and IMO
there isn't anything that might be effected by the usb latency in this.

I just checked the available pin files for the 5i25, without finding an
RS-485 port in the lot of them unless the 7i76 or 7i77 setups might do
it.  With the 5i25, the lack of a lvdiff port pins is probably the
problem.  But I'm equally sure the usb-RS485 adapter could be used too.