Hi,
I recently set up various probing systems(Renishaw, Heidenhain, Mahrpos) with
linuxcnc, and of course I could not resist reverse engineering the protocol.
All systems I observed had the following in common:
- sometimes the optical box is only the analog fronted, and the conversion
happens in another box. sometimes it is all in one.
- The IR does not have modulation, so you cannot use tsop type receiver.
- the signal is fast, you need a photodiode and TIA with a bandwidth of at
least 300khz
- the receiver is usually extremely overengineered, i.e Heidenhain uses a
spartan FPGA in the unit….

The most difficult part is figuring out how to turn the probe on.
Then you have to build a TIA which reliably decodes the signal.
Figuring out which bits are for probe and battery is relatively easy.

I can provide dumps of OMM, OMI, Mahrpos and Heidenhain turn-on codes if anyone
is interested.

Rene