OK, got the unit in today.  it does not seem corroded or
damaged in any way.
The 9V battery in it was dead, of course.

So, it is a bit more complicated that I had hoped.  It seems
to send an 8-bit data pattern, and two
bits flip in opposite directions when the stylus is
deflected.  I'm guessing that one of the bits also indicates
low battery, as Blum's IR receiver has an LED on it for
probe battery low.

But, the extra complexity is it needs an input via IR to
turn the probe on and off.  I rigged an IR LED to a pulse
generator and was able to turn it on and off.  I will have
to find the right bit sequences to do that.
It has visible LEDs that flash green, or green / blue when
idle, and then turn red when the probe is deflected.
Different IR inputs to the probe meake it flash only green,
or green / blue, and the bit pattern it sends changes
depending on which colors it is flashing.  I have NO IDEA
what that means.  And, the info available from Blum is only
sales info, with no user manual or anything that I can
find.  I'll have to look harder.

But, I'm pretty sure I can get this to work.

Jon