On Sunday 28 August 2016 16:48:27 Ron Ginger wrote:

> On 8/28/2016 11:38 AM, emc-users-requ...@lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
> > Hi Ron. We met at one of your PA cocofests decades ago. I'd like to
> > google for that machine, but I'd likely put linuxcnc in it as I'm
> > moderately familiar with it.  Name of machine please?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> The one I got is http://www.ebay.com/itm/321887320580 There seem to be
> several vendors with the same unit. I ordered from galaxyond. The web
> page says they ship from CA, but mine came from NJ and was here in
> just 4 days.
>
> I am running it with Mach4. It simply has a db25 connector on the
> back, so anything that acts like a parallel port will drive it. I
> still do not have the pins sorted out for the spindle control, but I
> did find the stepper connections. They supply a manual with it that
> shows all the mach3 screens for config so you can pick off the
> necessary pins numbers and steps per unit.
>
> ron ginger

I had, 2 years back, looked at that family of machines, but lost interest
when I found they had more or less normal screws, and at the time, they
were higher than now.  With a 4th axis, that is now a quite decent
price.  But I think the objection to the screws still stands.

However I am learning a lesson on screw life.  When I put a 1605 on my
wildly hacked up 7x12 for its Z screw a couple years ago, I looked at
the molded felt wipers in both faces of the nut & figured those would do
an entirely adequate job of wiping away the swarf. I hadn't checked the
backlash in about a year, which was in the .0015" area then.  In the
meantime I switched its native mode to mm's. and as it was working on
the final cuts of a block of cast iron to replace its own weeping willow
compound feed, I noted it was cutting heavier in one direction than the
other, this despite its now having tapered gibs. So when the job was
done, I did some incremental moves, with a dial on the toolpost, and had
to increase the z backlash to .179 mm's in the ini file to restore a .1"
move to be .1000 inch.  So when I put that 2505 1500mm screw in the
Sheldon, I have some brand new but NOS satelllite jack bellows that will
be put around that screw to help keep it clean.  I bought them intending
to cover the little monsters screw, but they are both too big around,
and collapsed, still too long.

As far as that size of machine, the Sable seems to be much better built,
but will need a better spindle in the long run. I may yet get one for
pcb carving as the spindle in the one I have used for that on a couple
dozen occasions peaks at 2500 revs.  So the usable feed rates are only 2
or 3 times faster than watching grass grow. One double sided board a day
is not a very good production rate. :(

Take care Ron.  Live long and prosper. :)