On 9/25/2016 10:05 AM, andy pugh wrote:

> On 25 September 2016 at 08:36, <dan...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> I am trying to add a run timer as per the time man page.
>>
>> LinuxCNC fails to load.  Initially I think the offending line was "not:
>> already exists" in the postgui hal.  Yes it uses loadrt not, and if I
>> comment all the "not" stuff out, linuxCNC loads fine.  loadrt is used in
>> another hal.
>>
> To use TWOPASS the comonents loaded by more than one "loadrt" need to use
> the names= syntax.
> You can, if you want, use names=not.0,not.1,not.2 so that there is no need
> to change the HAL lines that use the not components.

Huh, I tried that last night and it didn't work, but I may have screwed
something up.
What I saw, though, was the duplication of "loadrt not" was causing the
problem, and TWOPASS broke not because of the "not" naming scheme but
the HOSTMOT2((DRIVER) syntax error.  Things might not be as they seem,
though.  The debug dump is long and confusing.

> twopass: Error in file ./7i92_AM882_hack.hal:
>>      can't read "::HOSTMOT2((DRIVER)": no such element in array
>> twopass: Error in file ./xhc-hb04.hal:
>>      can't read "::HOSTMOT2((BOARD)": no such element in array
>>
> There is absolutely no reason to have a "loadrt hostmot2"  in more than one
> file. It won't work.
I didn't load it twice, though!

7i92_AM882_hack.hal has the loadrt line
xhc-hb04.hal does NOT have the loadrt line.  However, it references hostmot2
pins.  All that worked fine.
The xhc-hb04.hal and 7i92_AM882_hack.hal loaded fine and linuxCNC works great
before including TWOPASS.

My theory is that TWOPASS is breaking on the unusual syntax with these
brackets.  Note the errors "no such element in array" came up in both
7i92_AM882_hack.hal which DOES have the appropriate loadrt line, and
xhc-hb04.hal which does NOT have its own loadrt line.  i.e. after the first
pass it made its own malformed loadrt line which broke because of the brackets
and now neither file can find [HOSTMOT2](DRIVER) because there's no functional
loadrt line.  That's my initial theory, anyhow.

Does the nodelete option leave around a temporary file which would help
diagnose this?  Where does that file end up?