On Tuesday 18 October 2016 04:44:00 andy pugh wrote:

> On 18 October 2016 at 04:05, hubert <h...@hbahr.org> wrote:
> > My machine was initially setup by my vendor to mm.  Personally I
> > prefer inches.
>
> You can just set the GUI to display inches and issue a G20 (?) command
> and the machine will be, effectively, an imperial machine.
> (I am not sure it is G20, as I very rarely swap units, and the main
> linuxcnc site seems to be down from here)

You are correct Andy, G20 is inches, G21 is mm's for input code units.

But he'll likely have to revert all his .ini file changes before it will
work right. He can preset that at linuxcnc startup time by editing the
initialization string in the axis.ini file if he is using axis.

Example from TLM:
[RS274NGC]
RS274NGC_STARTUP_CODE=G8 G18 G21 G40 G49 G64 P.005 Q.005 G80 G90 G94 G97

Thats for a lathe of course as G7/G8 is lathe specific
And the G18 sets the active axis's to x/z for g2/g3 moves.