hi Gene

While those AS devices are alluring, I think they're pretty useless as
encoders proper. It bothers me that the datasheet does not say in bold,
"About +- 1 degree accurate only!"

While the devices have a high resolution, look at pg.7 for all the
non-linearity specs. So while you may discern 16 383 positions, you may be
well over 50 counts in error. I think their target market is accelerator
pedals ;-)

Regards
Roland