It absolutely requires its own ethernet port, no router either. That's
because it's a realtime device and having to arbitrate would only make
unpredictable latency/jitter.

Like others are saying, the link for accessing your LAN probably won't
even suffer if you use wifi and a USB2.0.

I just used a Edimax Wireless N150 Wifi Nano.   $10.  People use 'em all
the time for Raspberry Pi.  Immediately worked on Linux.

No speed complaints.

Danny