On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 11:18 PM, Chris Albertson
<albertson.ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's say we have two computers and each is sending UDP packets to two
> different Mesa cards.   I can't see how those packets would ever be on
> the same physical cable, assuming a switched network.   Each computer
> has its own cable to the switch.  The switch will read the packets and
> place them on different outbound ports each with its own cable going
> to the different Mesa boards.    The UDP packets can't collide

In theory, no. In practice, they all use the internal switch bus, and
you are depending on the implementation details of a random network
switch chip from a far-away country. Maybe they can switch fine on the
first simultaneous arrival but can't sustain repeated collisions, or
whatever. You just have to test it, and it's not quite easy-you'd have
to set up four (or 2*N) independent Ethernet stations with very
tightly coordinated on-wire packet streams.