Good day,

Use soft aluminium as the anvil for die cutting shims

john

________________________________
From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
Sent: Saturday, 17 December 2016 6:07 AM
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] axis screw has 5 or 6 thou of end play, usual fix?

On Friday 16 December 2016 10:40:15 Jon Elson wrote:

> On 12/16/2016 07:29 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > During the brief time this was working, one of the things I found
> > was a need for a backlash setting in the 8 or 9 thou range for Z.
> >
> > Putting a dial on the end of the screw, the measured end play there
> > was around .0055".
> >
> > So theres 2 places that need adjusting.  The nut that draws the
> > bearing inners together is quite tight.  So I am assuming I'll have
> > to take a few thou off the faces of the inner races.
>
> Or, you could make a washer out of .005" or .006" shim stock
> and be able to adjust it with gentle sanding.
>
> Jon

AIR I have shims of Heavy Duty Reynolds Wrap in TLM, but I must have made
20 to get 2 that stacked right. I needed 3 mills or a bit more, and that
stuff is 2 mills thick. So there is some preload on those 2 bearings,
and it seems to have worked well for several years now.

But this time I believe I'll make a die stamp and cut them out with a 4lb
hammer against a block of something like cherry or HDPE.  Scissors and
pocket knives just don't do it, it rips too easy.  Got to be a better
way.

Thanks Jon.

[http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene/pix/EasterSundayCropped2004-1.jpg]<http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>

Gene's Web pages<http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>
geneslinuxbox.net
Welcome to Gene's web pages. Here you will find some of the things that make me
tick, and that help keep me out of the bars. That is me & the missus, Dee
(Elladene) I ...

lists.sourceforge.net
This list is for users of the Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC). Topics include
how to obtain, install, configure, and use EMC, as well as other general EMC
related ...