I found out the hard way that it is not a good idea to select the kernel
numerically (e.g. GRUB_DEFAULT="2>3") since if another kernel is added (by
an update?) the order might change.

I now use the string method as below exclusively and have not had any
surprises since.
GRUB_DEFAULT="Previous Linux versions>Ubuntu, with Linux 3.4-9-rtai-686-pae"

Kurt