I successfully downloaded and installed hal_input and linux_event.py  At
least the loadusr hal_input line appears to be accepted without saying that
a file is missing.  Thanks Kirk!

My homebrew USB device identifies itself as a mouse with three buttons.
Thinking that I might have an error in my USB device code I substituted a
real mouse my homebrew one. For this real mouse /proc/bus/input/devices
gives:
     I: Bus=0003 Vendor=1a2c Product=0042 Version=0110
     N: Name="SEMICCHIP Usb Mouse"
     P: Phys=usb-0000:02:00.0-3/input0
     S:
Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.1/0000:02:00.0/usb3/3-3/3-3:1.0/input/i
nput5
     U: Uniq=
     H: Handlers=mouse2 event5
     B: EV=17
     B: KEY=1f0000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
     B: REL=103
     B: MSC=10

I added an entry in etc/udev/rules.d
    SUBSYSTEM=="hidraw'. ATTRS{idVendor}=="1a2c", ATTRS[idProduct}=="0042",
MODE="0666"

My hal line is:
     loadusr -W hal_input -KRAL "vendor=1a2c Product=0042"

Now when I process the loadusr line I get:

    No input devices could be opened.  This usually indicates a
misconfigured
    system.  Please read the section 'PERMISSIONS AND UDEV' in the hal_input
    manpage
    tormach_mill_sim.hal:11: hal_input exited without becoming ready
    Shutting down and cleaning up LinuxCNC...

What have I missed? Can hal_input connect to a mouse that the system knows
about? If not, what sort of HID device should I emulate?

Xeon