On 01/14/2017 08:00 PM, Ken Strauss wrote:
> I successfully downloaded and installed hal_input and linux_event.py  At
> least the loadusr hal_input line appears to be accepted without saying that
> a file is missing.  Thanks Kirk!
>
> My homebrew USB device identifies itself as a mouse with three buttons.
> Thinking that I might have an error in my USB device code I substituted a
> real mouse my homebrew one. For this real mouse /proc/bus/input/devices
> gives:
>      I: Bus=0003 Vendor=1a2c Product=0042 Version=0110
>      N: Name="SEMICCHIP Usb Mouse"
>      P: Phys=usb-0000:02:00.0-3/input0
>      S:
> Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.1/0000:02:00.0/usb3/3-3/3-3:1.0/input/i
> nput5
>      U: Uniq=
>      H: Handlers=mouse2 event5
>      B: EV=17
>      B: KEY=1f0000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
>      B: REL=103
>      B: MSC=10
>
> I added an entry in etc/udev/rules.d
>     SUBSYSTEM=="hidraw'. ATTRS{idVendor}=="1a2c", ATTRS[idProduct}=="0042",
> MODE="0666"
>
> My hal line is:
>      loadusr -W hal_input -KRAL "vendor=1a2c Product=0042"
>
> Now when I process the loadusr line I get:
>
>     No input devices could be opened.  This usually indicates a
> misconfigured
>     system.  Please read the section 'PERMISSIONS AND UDEV' in the hal_input
>     manpage
>     tormach_mill_sim.hal:11: hal_input exited without becoming ready
>     Shutting down and cleaning up LinuxCNC...
>
> What have I missed? Can hal_input connect to a mouse that the system knows
> about? If not, what sort of HID device should I emulate?

... snip

I haven't done any work on USB devices, so I can't help much.

Some devices such as USB may only be accessed by authorized users or
root. The udev bit tries set up special permission to allow your normal
user status to access a privileged device. I seem to recall that usb
or/and serial devices are usually assigned to a group then your user
name needs to be added to this group and udev is part of the process
(?). PathPilot tweaks LinuxCNC to get their supported products to work.
This may sacrifice other generic features. You might try to use generic
LinuxCNC and choose a configuration that is known to work with your
device or is close. When you get this to work transfer this knowledge to
PP. If I had the same problem I would tend to use this approach and
allocate a day or three to the cause.

(.. or not)

--
Kirk Wallace