Ed Fanta does rigid tapping on his CHNC. I don't believe that he has a
breaking resistor on the VFD even. IIRC I watched the output of the
SPINx1 and it just goes from a + voltage to a - voltage and does not
"stop" he does have a fairly high line count BEI(?) encoder on the spindle.

It works very well for him and he taps at surprisingly high spindle speeds!