From: Jim Craig <jimcraig5...@windstream.net>
Sent: Thursday, February 2, 2017 3:29 PM
To: Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] VFD recommendations - braking resistor vs mechanical
brake.

On 2/2/2017 9:13 AM, John Thornton wrote:
> I also have an Automation Direct GS2 on my BP knee mill and rigid tap
> with it (need the braking resistor).
>
> JT
John,

That is an interesting point. I am getting ready to add gear tooth
sensors on the bull gear so I can rigid tap. I don't have a braking
resistor on my drive. Currently the mechanical spindle brake engages
when the spindle stops via a pneumatic cylinder. To be honest I am not
sure if it would engage during a spindle reversal as I don't do that
currently. It probably would not. Does the rigid tapping cycle stop the
spindle or does it do a reversal without stopping? M3 M5 M4 M5 or M3 M4 M5?

I figured that the drag from tapping would stop the spindle pretty
quickly without the resistor. I would like to hear more about your
experience with this situation.

Thanks,

Jim

Slashdot: News for nerds, stuff that matters<http://sdm.link/slashdot>
sdm.link
Slashdot: News for nerds, stuff that matters. Timely news source for technology
related news with a heavy slant towards Linux and Open Source issues.

lists.sourceforge.net
This list is for users of the Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC). Topics include
how to obtain, install, configure, and use EMC, as well as other general EMC
related ...