That's really interesting.   Thanks for the link.
I read some things before about the Arduino overhead impacting user
code.   That is a glaring example.
I'm trying to stay as generic as possible..  if I need to dip into the
hardware specifics because of the overhead in the Arduino I will, but it
sure would be nice to try and keep the code generic as possible since
Arduino has both AVR and  ARM boards.  And I certainly don't want to
toss all of the established device libraries for the Arduino out the
window.

I guess it may be human nature to try and keep things cheap, but if a
project is not going to result in hundreds or thousands of devices being
made, the cost difference between a AVR or ARM seem to be almost
irrelevant compared to the labor/time involved. Hopefully by trying to
keep things fairly generic I can move between the two as it makes sense.

Regarding the Atmel ICE and Microchip;  I ordered the ICE late one
night, the following day Microchip shipped it out and I had it the next
day.    They shipped it overnight even though I didn't ask for overnight
shipping.   So far, Microchip has me impressed. I'll let you know what I
find regarding the ICE.

Thanks,

Dave