On Tuesday 28 February 2017 12:22:29 andy pugh wrote:

> On 28 February 2017 at 16:53, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
wrote:
> > Why?
>
> Because motion creates threads called servo-thread  and base-thread,
> and that is hard-coded.

The docs do NOT claim that.

> https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/87d2a4e1f28427568a69abcab101
>dec63d24bca3/src/emc/motion/motion.c#L816
>
> Why are you trying to jog in a separate thread to the servo thread?

I see no good reason to recalculate the jog gain or loss every thousandth
of a second, Andy, 1/100th second is plenty fast enough, given the rate
at which it can be changed by turning the dial.  But 5 to 7 clicks will
be the full range for this adjustment.

The pi has limited resources, so why bother it with all this stuff any
faster than 1/100th second.  None of this applies when the button beside
the dial is not pushed, so its wasted cpu cycles, magnitudes of them, if
it has to repeat the calculations every millisecond.

I don't think I can move the BASE_PERIOD time to 1 millisecond, because
many of those modules do have fp requirements which LCNC would no doutb
object to, taking the exit cleanup path.

So I guess this then is a feature request.  The docs even name
TRAJ_PERIOD, see page 621 of the pdf.  Can it not be made to work at
all?

Thanks Andy.