Greetings all;

When I setup LCNC on the pi, one of the things I did was to make an
R-Pi_nc_files directory on the rotating media of this machine, copied
all the .ngc files I have generated to run on TLM to it, and cleaned out
the nc_files directory on the pi, leaving only 2 files, which will
remind me when I see them that the directory on this machine has not
been mounted on top of that one.

Thats by this one liner script:

sshfs
g...@coyote.coyote.den:/home/gene/linuxcnc/R-Pi_nc_files/
/home/pi/linuxcnc/R-Pi_nc_files

All one line of course, and the .ini file edited to point nc_files at it.

With all the config file updates I am doing as I work on both the jog
wheels and in due time the gear shift stuff when I've installed the belt
position sensors, that I am using up the microsd. It is a bigger one, a
Samsung 32Gb, so it will be a while before that occurs, unlike the
san-disk lookalikes that I destroyed 2 of in 3 days each.  Bad karma,
and ruined my taste for san-disk stuff entirely.

I am considering doing the similar remote mount of rotating media for the
configs directory as it is getting 100x the read-modify-write activity
as I make this and that work. An sshfs mount doesn't seem to be any
slower than the microsd so far. But since it gets a write to new .var
files everytime I close LCNC, it seems like a good idea.

That mount could be incorporated into the above script as:

sshfs
g...@coyote.den:/home/gene/linuxcnc/R-Pi_configs/ /home/pi/linuxcnc/configs

Shoot me down if you think its wrong. :-)

I do have amanda backing up the whole pi, so I could theoretically
recover to last nights backup state on a fresh Samsumg microsd with a
basic jessie install on it, but it does take time that I'd like to
forestall doing as long as I can.

A 2nd alternative might be a usb to ssd adaptor but I've not investigated
setting up such a critter.  Has anyone else?