On Wednesday 22 March 2017 05:53:32 andy pugh wrote:

> On 22 March 2017 at 03:35, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:
> > So, once I get the bronze bearings I found in it pushed out and the
> > needle cartridges that were supposed to be in it, pushed in, the
> > next step I am considering is, since the left face of the pulley is
> > hollowed out, apparently by browning, to a depth of .375" and a
> > diameter of around 2.1", thats plenty room enough for a taper lock
> > flange, so I am considering boreing that end of the pulley for a
> > thin sleeved taperlock hub and installing that as a means of
> > immobilizing that side of the pulley on the shaft.
>
> The smallest off-the-shelf taperlock is the 1008 size, and that size
> will fit your 7/8" shaft (and they are very cheap)
> https://www.bearingboys.co.uk/1008-Taper-Bushes/100878-Taper-Bush-Dunl
>op-2214-p

That style isn't what I had in mind, Andy. External drive & extract
flange. And I can make it on TLM. With a drive flange small enough to
fit in the recess already there, all I have to do to the pulley is make
a 7 degree taper maybe 1/2" deep, and drill and tap for the draw bolts,
3 ea 4mm cap screws should pull it well enough.  Thats assuming I can
drive them in the space available.  I'll have to do a trial reassembly
to check that once the new bearings are installed. 'twouldn't be the
first time I've cut the short arm of an allen wrench down to fit the
space available.

I have already made 2 such taperlock hubs, one for a 6.35mm bore, and one
of a 10mm bore, just in cnc'ing TLM. Thats the one thing that has been
troublefree, and now with tapered gibs, its doing quite precise work for
a $350 lathe off the "touring the country" truck, but its taken quite
some effort to get it there.

> The minimum hub diameter for 1008 is 63mm, however, and you are 10mm
> smaller than that.
>
> Also, machining for a taperlock is a bit of a game, and you need
> Whitworth taps (1/4W for 1008 size) which you probably don't have,

Nope, no such critters here. Fractional/machine screw, and metric taps on
hand.

> More expensive, but much easier to prepare the pulley for, would be a
> Trantorque:
> http://www.fennerdrives.com/trantorque/_/Trantorque-OE-7/8/
> That needs a 1 3/8" plain bore in the pulley.

Expen$ive, yeah, 80 USD (and ship no doubt, will put that north of $120
USD. And a 2 to 4 week ship delay, by which time I can be making swarf
by making my own.

Thanks Andy, but I think I'll DIY this one. That will surely outlast
me. :)  It sounds like the adjective "taperlock" must lose something in
the translation, I have the "Browning" style in mind.