On 3/28/2017 9:48 AM, andy pugh wrote:
> I find myself astonished that I don't have a 3D printer.
> I am thinking of buying one.
> Longer-term I think I will end up making a large-format delta pritner,
> so the one I buy will be more ot a toe-dipping exercise, and I am
> looking at:
> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182454763977
> Any thoughts?

I haven't seen that one before (but there are *LOTS* of new 3D
printers so that's not too unusual).  It looks like a pretty decent
Replicator clone, but based on some online reviews you may need to
reprogram the controller with an open-source firmware and switch to
using a standard slicer vs. the one that comes with it.  I probably
wouldn't recommend this to someone who's not computer savvy, but it
looks like the hardware is OK and I'm pretty sure you can handle
updating the firmware and toolchain if needed (I saw some reviews
where the printer came up with a proprietary UI in Chinese, but it
looks like current versions may come with standard open-source builds).

I do have friends who have purchased official and/or built their own
version of this Replicator printer, and it's a pretty decent design
that seems to work well overall.  There are also a *LOT* of available
add-ons and upgrades since this design (unlike later Makerbot designs)
is open-source:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:18813

Disclaimer: Makerbot owns Thingiverse

...if you want a printer from a company that *REALLY* supports
open-source, I can recommend Lulzbot without hesitation, but they're
also substantially more expensive than the CTC printer.  :-/

--
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net