Those ammonia cycle refrigerators are pretty common in RVs and campers.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kurt Jacobson" <kurtcjacob...@gmail.com>
To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2017 12:23:20 PM
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Way OT, Unexpected Result from Refrigerator

> I am impressed that someone managed to come up with this cycle:
> http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mnr/fridge.html

We used to see quite a few ammonia  cycle based refrigerators and central
air conditioning units down here in the south (Georgia), but they are
becoming scarce now. They were generally reliable and very economical to
run, although some of the cheaper units had problems with corrosion in the
coils causing them to fail.

I was interested in the cycle and as a project for an advanced
thermodynamics class I did a detailed analysts of if it with operation cost
comparisons etc. As I recall it came out making compressor based systems
look very undesirable from an operating cost standpoint. The funny thing is
that the power company was offering rebates to people to encourage them to
replace there "inefficient" natural gas powered refrigeration systems. Now
they are offering rebates to replace "inefficient" gas furnaces with
heat-pumps. I think I see a pattern...

Cheers,
Kurt