On Friday 05 May 2017 17:43:16 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Friday 05 May 2017 09:25:01 Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
> > On 5/5/2017 7:56 AM, andy pugh wrote:

> > > It might be worth considering that Gene's experience seems to be
> > > that LinuxCNC on the Pi runs less than flawlessly.
> >
> > Indeed.  I've only just started playing with the RPi3 and have
> > already hit some issues.  I was hoping the GPU would be usable, but
> > it looks like there are still problems.  I think the BBB (or an
> > SoC+FPGA) is probably a better choice if you don't need a native
> > GUI, and if you _do_ want a GUI a low-end x86 box is likely a much
> > better choice.
> >
> > I've ordered one of these x86 SBCs to play with and see if I can get
> > it talking to Mesa hardware via SPI:
> >
> > http://up-shop.org/up-boards/2-up-board-2gb-16-gb-emmc-memory.html
>
> That looks like a raspi killer, but whats an eMMC memory, because I
> sure don't see a socket for a micro-sd card.
>
> > ...if it works out, it may be a good midway point between the ARM
> > based SBCs and a full x86 machine.
>
> I agree, except for the system memory.
>
> Soldered to the board flash memory bothers me, a lot.  If it didn't, I
> would have used my card to put some postage on its even better equipt
> 4Gb dram and 32Gb of e-MMC. I have 2 of the original D525MW boards,
> one of them is still software stepping a 4 axis micro-mill. Not fast,
> but fast enough to get the job done.
>
> > > https://wiki.debian.org/RaspberryPi
> > >
> > > Seems to suggest that armhf works on Pi >= 2.0
> > >
> > > buildbot "sim" builds run with realtime on preempt-rt kernels.

Unfortunately, the buildbot has been unreachable since my problems began.
I have stripped my sources.lists down to just the buildbot:
deb http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ jessie master-sim
deb-src http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ jessie master-sim

 but sudo apt update returns:

Err http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org jessie InRelease

Err http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org jessie Release.gpg
  Could not resolve 'buildbot.linuxcnc.org'
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
All packages are up to date.
W: Failed to fetch http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org/dists/jessie/InRelease

W: Failed to fetch http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org/dists/jessie/Release.gpg
Could not resolve 'buildbot.linuxcnc.org'

W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.

The web page is there at buildbot from this machine, but Damn if
network-mangler hasn't re-written the /etc/resolv.conf with a blank
file. First is nuke resolvconf, rewrite a good /etc/resolv.conf, make
sure it works and sudo chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf. Done. Now the
buildbot responds and tells me linuxcnc is all up to date.