On Saturday 27 May 2017 15:52:54 Chris Albertson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone here experience with this?
>
> I think these are new.  I've seen them on some web sites and also
> eBay.   I can't find any good engineering information yet, like user
> manuals or speed/torque plots but the idea is great.

I think so too.  But I am so used to thinking in in/lbs, and have never
seen a formula or a chart that converts Nm to in/lbs, so I've no clue if
they might be usable for me.  So what is 3Nm equ to?

I haven't a clue if it would fit for the X drive on the Sheldon, and not
hit the bed at 112mm long.  It would awfull close, little or no room for
paint.

> They are an integrated closed loop driver/controller and motor.  The
> feedback loop is done inside the motor. They are MUCH better at
> holding torque at high speed than are normal steppers.  More like a
> servo but at much lower cost.     The motor accepts DC power (about 36
> volts) and step and direction.  Here is one example from eBay
>
> Building the driver into the motor is good.  For closed loop control
> the driver must be matched to the motor so you would always buy them
> in pairs anyway.  Placing them in one unit saves the need to run a lot
> of wire and all the noise problems and lowers the over all cost.   The
> driver cane made simpler and cheaper because it does not need to be
> general purpose, it just drive the motor with known inductance and
> resistance.
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nema23-57BYG-Stepper-Motor-Integrated-Driver..
> <http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nema23-57BYG-Stepper-Motor-Integrated-Driver-
>2-in-1-L112mm-3Nm-24-48VDC-CNC/192011640913?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1
>851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40130%26me
>id%3Dbc8047bd176346b9a8fbf5703256f1ef%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6
>%26sd%3D262565354603>
>
> I saw a youtube video demo of one of these that showed it holding
> position.  It was using almost no current and the motor was cool.  But
> then if you apply force to the shaft the current zooms up to counter
> the applied force, like a servo  Basically it IS a servo.  There is an
> optical encoder.  The above web page has a block diagram.
>
> All the good info is in Chinese.  Perhaps someone here is good at
> technical Chinese.  My wife can read only the very basic stuff and
> Google translation is not so good.  I think these are designed and
> sold into the Chinese domestic market hence no US sales office or
> English technical documents.
>
> This eBay unit is cheaper than a conventional setup.    I think this
> is the way things are moving

I'm sure of it. That posted price is about $65 less than when I checked
last.  So the switchover will be considerably speeded up unless the
freight eats the difference.  And it does eat much of it at $38 freight
from HongKong. That brings the per axis cost up to $126 for the 3Nm
unit.