> > Maybe there is no need for a linux kernel. Have you read the manual for the
> > ARM CPU? Or what kind of CPU is it?
>
> RPI3 uses a quad-core ARMv8 (Cortex-A53) with all kinds of bells and
> whistles. Have you read the manual for that core?

No and I did not read the manual for the smaller cortex-m* cores either even
though I use them daily.

> I've been using many of those small ARM cores (M0...M4) from different
> manufacturers and each is about a 1000 pages. The core in the RPI is
> utterly more complex.

I have only read manual for a few of the peripherals I use and that's enough.

> But, if that is not enough, there are so many internal and external
> peripherals that you need to go through all other documentation too.
> Designing and writing a bare-bone OS is an uphill battle and you do not
> want to do that if there is no /extremely/ specific need.
>
> Linux provides an infrastructure that is very hard to write yourself,
> like file-system, network, process- and memory-management to name a few.
> Just consider the amount of dev-time that is put into Linux.

In no doubt there are plenty of infra structure and if the infrastructure is
needed there are not much choice. I think there is need for only one task and
have been looking on some of the smaller micro controllers.