On 20.06.17 10:25, Jon Elson wrote:
> On 06/20/2017 02:50 AM, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> > Incidentally, I've found that the Postscript printer language is sorta
> > almost like gcode on steroids. Fighting with a GUI drawing package gives
> > me chest pains, without producing useful output, so I've just finished
> > drawing floorplans, elevations, sections, and started the site plan for
> > a new build, with all text input. (800 lines for 8 engineering drawings
> > for submission to the local council.)
> Don Lancaster wrote a couple books on PostScript.  One is "A PostScript
> Cookbook".  Maybe the other was actually a series of magazine articles,
> "PostScript as a programming language".  Very useful stuff to know.

The only dead-tree book I have is "Postscript Language reference, third
edition." Much good info came from BLUEBOOK.PDF, found on the
intertubes. This is my first foray into Postscript, so a steep learning
curve. Rewarding though, because each lesson learned amplifies the
horsepower applied to the next challenge. Making e.g. a simple double
glazed window function, taking length & wall thickness arguments, meant I
only ever had to think once how to draw a window. Adding a "flip"
allowed the dimension text, also taken from the arguments, to be always
the right way up.

> I do some mechanical drawings in my PC board design package. Mostly, because
> I know it very well.

I'm beginning to see why you would. I computed truss length as wall
length (computed from wall segments + window lengths) + eave + porch,
and used that in the corresponding cross-section. When I changed one of
the components in the floorplan, the truss niftily redrew itself to the
new dimensions, but left the veranda posts behind - because I'd not used
the variables to fix their position. Manual drawing would not have found
that error for me.

One thing I didn't find in the books was how to set a variable to a
computed value - all the examples were just setting it to a constant.
A little bit of experimentation revealed that an exch did the trick.
(I'm still not clear on precisely what that's doing inside Postscript.)

Erik