On 10 Jul 2017, at 05:56, Bruce Layne wrote:

> First, I'd try replacing the battery in your Radio Shack DMM if you haven't
> already.  But I'd immediately start looking for a replacement.  I'm not a
> test equipment snob, but you need to trust your test equipment.  If you
> aren't sure if you're testing your circuit or testing your meter, the job
> becomes much more difficult. Even as a larval geek in high school in the mid
> 1970s, I had a Beckman DMM and wouldn't use a Micronta meter if someone gave
> it to me.
>
> I think the best value in a quality DMM is a Chinese Fluke.

I have no experience of the modern Chinese version, but love my old Fluke 11.
It is quite basic, in terms of its functions, but robust as a brick.

> Fluke has a line of meters that are manufactured in China and ostensibly
> intended for the Chinese market.  The owner's manuals are in Chinese (it's a
> digital multimeter and we pretty much know how to use those, although there
> are English versions of the manual online) and the warranty isn't valid in
> the US, but it's genuine Fluke quality at half the price or less.  Here's an
> example at the lower end, but they have larger and more full featured meters
> in their Chinese line as well.
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-FLUKE-101-portable-handheld-digital-multimeter-F101-mini-meter-US-SELLER-/182497154039
> (if there's a problem with the link, search eBay for 182497154039)
>
> When I bought my Chinese Fluke meter for my toolbox, they could only be
> purchased from Chinese sellers, but now they're available from US sellers so
> you aren't waiting a month for the slow boat from China.
>
> AvE had a couple of videos extolling the virtues and value of the Chinese
> Fluke meters.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDm5BfRrAsg
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJm9iCha-jM
>
> Of course, wherever there's a market, some Asian ripoffs will occur, so do
> try to get reasonable assurances, generally via seller feedback, that you're
> getting a genuine Chinese Fluke instead of a cheap Chinese copy of a genuine
> Chinese Fluke.

I have made a couple of Chinese kits for meters. Great fun, especially since
they come with no instructions even for assembly. Kind of a Chinese puzzle.
Accuracy is reasonable on the basic functions.
And I use separate home-built meters for capacitance and inductance.

Marcus