I frequently work on AC and DC industrial drives. Measuring 480 VAC is common and sometimes the DC bus on a 480 Volt input drive as well. I decided to "retire" two of my older Flukes to lesser duties and stick with the new one rated at 1000 volts just for the reasons you mentioned.

I don't want a meter flashing over internally. Age degrades insulation and it just isn't worth the risk.

I have a few other meters which are cheap Chinese knock offs but I keep those around for 240 VAC and below. I would not use one at 480VAC even though they scale to 600 VAC.

If you can afford to work on 480 VAC systems, you can afford a high quality meter. Also, keep an eye on the meter leads. If they start looking worn, replace them.

I've got life insurance, but I don't want to use it.

Dave