On Friday 21 July 2017 02:25:50 Phillip Carter wrote:

> Seems like a problem in jessie
> <https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/issues/28>

Interesting. My take on it is that its something related to the initial
key assignments in the .ini file, where one can scramble the key vs axis
moved. This was because the config I started with was missing one of
these, so the keys were scrambled:

[TRAJ]
COORDINATES                     =       X Z

and
[KINS]
KINEMATICS                      =       trivkins coordinates=XZ

Once those were added to the .ini file, that behaved itself.

Perhaps the MDI commandline editor (someone mentioned vi but that comes
with a huge load of baggage for a one line editor) code missed out on
those key coupling assignments?

> On 20/7/17 11:20 pm, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Thursday 20 July 2017 03:41:17 Chris Albertson wrote:
> >> Gene,
> >>
> >> Try h, j, k, l keys if the arrow keys don't work.    VI was created
> >> LONG ago back when arrow keys were a luxury item.   The old "hjkl"
> >> still should work for you.

FWIW Chris, those didn't work either.

But another problem I have mentioned previously ate my lunch, about 2
hours and some material yesterday while making the first 8 brass screws
for the rear of the spindle spider. Axis couples the 4 motion keys to
the two teeny little tally eyeballs at the top of the axis left control
panel. So you can set the speed to creep, run it to the reference
position, and do a touch off which is automatically applied to the last
axis moved.

But HAL doesn't!!!!!!! One must get close enough to the monitor to see
which axis has the focus, and fix it if its wrong before doing the touch
off.

So, after I had drilled and tapped the holes in the alu ring, I am making
the brass bolts to fit those tapped holes. We badly need a coupling
mechanism between the motion.axis-N-jog-enable, and those buttons
tallying that in the axis display.

Driving the machine with my dials doesn't tell axis I just moved Z, which
is required with the tool change since 3 tools are involved. So after
very carefully getting X set so the threads I made fit rather snuggly,
at about bolt 5 I didn't notice the teeny dot was in the wrong circle,
and did a z touch off to my very carefully set X offset.

At the very least, the touch-off box needs one more button to 'undo' the
last touch-off, so we can undo it, then select the right little axis
button, then touch-off the axis we intended to. That would at least be a
recovery path if the wrong axis was touched off. As it is, the recovery
to a usable state is putting it back a bit bigger, manually cutting off
the bad thread, resetting the stickout, and an hour re-running the code
while touching X off about .05mm smaller at a time until it fits again.

Thats frustrating to say it in mild terms. Very frustrating.  Fix it,
please. Its a much larger problem IMO than the MDI editors key
missfires. That can be tolerated, a bigger font for the MDI commandline
would help as it can place the cursor with care and a stable mouse, but
the wrong axis touch-off is 1000x the time and material waster.

Thanks all.