On Friday 21 July 2017 11:13:34 dave wrote:

> On 07/21/2017 07:31 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >> Rather than touch off to adjust; change the offset, very
> >> quantitative and fast.
> >>
> >> Dave
> >
> > Where Dave?
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> In TK it is Scripts -> set coordinates ... I just assumed (???) that
> axis would have a similar feature.

Actually gcode does: again the docs are quite lacking, too concise. Shows
G92 axises, so I presume I could combine this into one program and put
a: G92 z0.000 at the top of the file after setting the offset to put the
first tool at the face of the stickout, then before turning the thread,
G92 z-2.0374 (mm's) in just after a tool change. Ditto for the cutoff
tool.

I'm finding either the head isn't aligned, or I need to rotate the coords
around the non-existent y axis by half a degree to compensate for the
taper the flexability of the brass stickout when its been reduced to a
hair less than 8mm's. I am finding the end of the screw is a couple thou
bigger than at the thread end near the hex cap. I can do that with a
g33.1, but g76 can't other than with the L2 and an E length=length of
thread - one thread pitch.  But thats way more comp than needed for
this. For a 21mm long thread, my calipers show about a 3 thou diff.

The next 4 screws should have around 25 to 30 mm's of thread, depending
on the size of the pipe I can src. But the weather is so black
headlights on is an excellent idea. Noisy too, and some wet.

Different question now. I've been studying up on the tool table, and what
I am seeing seems to indicate that at least for common turning tools, a
jig for setting the cutters stickout applicable to a box of loose tool
holders, would be handy.  What method do most of you use so that a dull
tool can be removed from the QC holder, sharpened or rechipped, and
returned to the tool holder with exactly the same stickout it had when
it was last mounted and put to use. URL's to pix of what works best in
your shop would be nice.

Thanks a bunch everybody.