If they are pre-loading to full contact, I fail to  see the diff between
a spring load and a pre-load. With a spring, it might have enough give
to ride over a wood chip falling on the pinion.

The problem is that racks produce a significant force pushing the pinion out of mesh. If I remember it is about a third of the thrust. If you have a spring preload the pinion tends to end up climbing out of the rack teeth unless you use a really big spring. In that case you end up with wear problems or even broken teeth.

Les