On 07/31/2017 02:00 PM, andy pugh wrote:
On 31 July 2017 at 21:47, Kirk Wallace <kwall...@wallacecompany.com> wrote:

Someone here might know where to get the thin heater wire (insulated
nichrome?) to rebuild the linked gauge CVR?

How hot does it get? Could you wrap the part in Kapton tape and use
uninsulated wire?

I don't think it normally should get exceptionally hot, just enough to bend the bi-metal spring. Here is a link of a decent overview of CVR units:
http://www.minimania.com/Smiths_Voltage_Stabilizers

less elegant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qVfKiujK5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ou2WHdylY&t=2s

The unit I'm working on is for a International Harvester Scout from the 60s. The bi-metal arm got too (blue) hot due to a dead short to ground on the CVR output which melted the supply wire (should have had a 14amp fuse according to the schematic).

We opened the can on this one and got it working again until the heater wire melted from shorting to the bi-metal spring.

The plan so far is to use a 5 Volt buck converter instead:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222245520202

It may not matter, but the temperature characteristics of the CVR are supposed to match the temperature characteristics of the gauges and with the proper heater wire it should be easy to rewind.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/