Is this discussion that mentions rk3328 still about still BeagleBone Black
or a different ARM based device.  Maybe for that the subject line should
change?

I looked at the Xylotex pin map and I can see only one SPI port that is
available although the pin use is commented out in the HAL.
For I/O expansion I'm interested in using the Homann Designs MODIO board
since I have one.  Peter Homann tells me that several people have ported it
to EMC2.

I also have a CBB-Serial CAN/Serial 232/485 Cape from Logic Supply.  With
Controller Area Network (CAN)  I'd have access to CANopen hardware.

I found the site with the files and I've downloaded the various folders.
The makefiles will need some work to change paths from EMC2/. . . etc. but
it looks like it would work if UART1 P9-24, P9-26 are used.

However, my CBB-Serial uses P9-24, P9-26 for CAN and P9-21, P9-22 for UART2.

So it should be possible to use some of the cape except that P9-15, which is
Z_Step, is use for RS485 direction which implies probably only RS232 MODBUS.
Assuming those can be disabled in the CBB-Serial configuration.  That will
be a set of questions for the BBB group since the EEROMs on each Cape select
which device tree information to use.

Still,  Effectively, unlimited within reason I/O expansion is easily
available with a Beagle.
John

>From CBB-Serial Cape:
Signal name     Header Pin      Pin Mode                Comments
UART4_RTS(1)    P8_33           output                  UART4
request-to-send
UART4_CTS(1)    P8_35           input                   UART4 clear-to-send
UART2_CTS(1)    P8_37           input                   UART4 clear-to-send
UART2_RTS(1)    P8_38           output                  UART2
request-to-send
ON_SW   P9_9            input                   Trigger power on
UART4_RX(2)     P9_11           RS232 input             ±1.6 - ±12V on IDC10
/ screw terminal
UART4_TX(2)     P9_13           RS232 output            ±5.4V out IDC10 /
screw terminal
UART4_RX(2)     P9_11           serial in from RS485    -7 - +12V
common-mode voltage on receiver
UART4_TX(2)     P9_13           serial out to RS485     Standard RS485 5V
differential driver output
GPIO1_6         P9_15           digital output          for software RS485
RE/DE control
UART2_TX        P9_21           RS232 output            ±5.4V out IDC10 /
screw terminal
UART2_RX        P9_22           RS232 input             ±1.6 - ±12V on IDC10
/ screw terminal
DCAN1_RX        P9_24           serial in               from CAN bus -27 -
+40V common-mode voltage on bus
DCAN1_TX        P9_26           serial out              to CAN bus 3V max
driver differential output voltage
NOTES:
1. These pins are shared with the HDMI driver and are disabled by default.
See ‘Enabling Flow Control’ below
2. UART4 is shared between the RS232 converter and the RS485 driver, its
function is selected with jumper

>From DB-25/26 Cape:
Enable System   P8.07           out
STOPin          P8.09           in