Has to be two different computers, right?
For PCIe x1, grab a Quadro NVS 290 off eBay, preferably with the dual monitor
breakout cable it'll require. Those come in dual VGA, dual DVI or one of each.
You'll also find plenty of ATi FireMV 2250 x1 cards but the Quadro beats the
pants off it and has the benefit of no cooling fan to wear out. That ATi card
also uses a dual monitor breakout, came cables as the Quadro.

I suspect AGP just has pretty poor Linux support. It was still early times with
Linux during the heyday of AGP. Support for it has likely been so far back
burnered it's off the stove with no recent work done.A quick google for Linux
AGP support turns up hits that are mostly several years old. One summary
mentions nVidia drivers not working if the kernel has AGPGART support compiled
in.
Could be what you ran into, a conflict between kernel AGP support and video
card driver AGP support. What's the brand and model of the AGP card? Any
markings, on the PCB or stickers, may help ID it. Failing that, remove the heat
sink (if equipped) and see what the video chip is.

    On Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 4:04:27 PM MDT, John Dammeyer