On 11/14/2017 02:42 AM, andy pugh wrote:
On 14 November 2017 at 06:22, dave <dengv...@charter.net> wrote:

So: any recommendations for bearing arrangement?
Why wouldn't you use exactly what Cincinatti used?

Ah! Leave it to Andy to ask the logical questions.
Vintage of the machine is early '60's. Pretty much designed to run at mid-range: 1000-2200 rpm and on HSS.

Carbide and coated carbide came along much later. As is, the machine is probably a good balance between HSS used with coolant
and stiffness.
When the bearing are good it will handle 1/2" carbide roughers albeit carefully. MRR is actually better with 1/4" TiAlN coated carbide with less stress on the machine but that implies 3450 rpm. One just needs to keep the chips out of the way.

Ran for years as a tracer at Boeing; then donated to a trade school. They simi converted it to CNC and then it went to a machine auction where I picked it up for a good price because everyone else was afraid of it

I would go back to the Mazak in a blink if I could figure out how to fix the Bellevue stack without having to pull the transmission, etc
That fix will be the subject of another post.

I'm aging ... not something i can fix.

Thanks for the reply.

Dave