On Tuesday 02 January 2018 12:50:24 Les Newell wrote:

> Hi Gene,
>
> Are you sure your drive isn't shutting down due to over voltage rather
> than over current? The only way to brake a 3 phase motor without
> pumping power back into the bus is to use DC braking. DC braking can
> cause rotor heating problems on machines that decelerate often.

This is true, so I've had to program currents for dc braking as well as
for how long. The only place where I might cause a rotor overheat might
be with a big tap it can't pull in one stroke and "pecking" the g33.1
with an incremental depth. I've not tried a tap that big yet. Generally
I've used a g76 for that as I have tools small enough to make a 1/2" 50
tpi internal thread, which I had done several times but usually on TLM,
which has a dc motor setup all the way. I need to make a tap holder to
fit into an axa tool holder yet. That will likely not get done till I
need it. :) When will I need it is the $64k question. :)