On Wednesday 03 January 2018 11:03:05 Dave Cole wrote:

> Some of the "Driveswarehouse" type places sell solid state "phase
> converters" that have no speed control, but they seem to cost as much
> or more than the equivalent sized VFD.    No idea why.   It must be
> driven by the marketplace.
> I suppose if all you are driving is a blower or pump then having
> onboard braking circuitry might be close to worthless.
> The Estop requirements on most automation machinery requires a rapid
> stop on all rotating machinery.
> So... is anyone going to buy the $125 5 hp drive and let us know how
> long it lasts before the drive goes "pop".  ;-)
>
> Dave

Well, so far and definite not in a production environment as I cut lots
of air before making swarf, my cheap, break resistorless clone, has
managed to protect itself from everything I throw at it, and I have a
g33.1 peck cycle test run that never finishes, I use it to tune the bits
and pieces of the vfd for the fastest reversal at the end of the
instroke, or at the other reversal at the end of the outstroke, and have
succeeded in getting it down to just over 3 turns of the 3 jaw chuck at
the bottom of the hole at 300 rpms. Correspondingly slower with the 8" 4
jaw mounted. If the hole is blind, I'll convert the encoder counts shown
by my hal code capture into turns, then from that inches or mm's, and
edit the code to shorten the instroke by that amount. A ready source of
quality blind taps is a plus, most of mine aren't.

Quickness of turnaround is a balancing act of how fast you can actively
slow it without an overvoltage trip with that sensitivity riseing
quickly with the rpms, and how long you leave the dc braking on and at
what amperage. This latter is in time and amps so if you turn that up,
but are only turning 75 rpm, you waste a lot of time at a slowly oozing
stop before it actually begins the accel in the other direction. Some
what of a damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

I get the impression that if this one had the rs485 port mentioned in the
manual, but there are no places called out on its logic board to even
connect one, that this type of thing could be done much more
intelligently by the driver while it was actually running the motor by
customizing all this to the rpms being turned. This could convert the
reversal into a stanza of code at least as complex as a tool changer
robot driver, but quicker than it can do now when one must negotiate
your way thru the pushbuttons on the panel to change anything in what
IMO, should be totally under linuxcnc's control, but the best I've got
is a Spin-X1, no rs485.

I have a corcom brick wall filter to keep its noise from bothering the
other line powered stuff, on the line side of the vfd. On this machine,
linuxcnc is the motor power control thru some 40 amp SSR's. Works well
and theres no huge and clunky drum switches in sight. The 7i90, thru the
7i42TA's, has no problem controlling the SSR's.

Given that I'm not dealing with a 5hp motor, this $130 1.5 hp rated
single phase 254 volt src vfd, running an elderly 1 hp 3 phase 230 rated
motor, is giving me good value for the money. It is, considering the
difficulty of the job, getting the job done. I bought two of these
motors off an air compressor, retired after after 40 years without much
weather protection during a remodel at the local horsepistol. $50 bucks
for the pair, and 4 new bearings, only 2 have been used, so I have one
in the bottom of the Sheldon, and a ready to roll spare in case for
about $75 bucks.  Whats not to like?

Would I buy another if I had a need? Paypal just works.