I run the VFD (that's never varied) on my old Monarch lathe without using
braking. It has terminals to connect a braking resistor but for this machine
there's no need.

What I find crazy is that a simple, single function device that only converts
single phase to three phase, without all the fancy features of a VFD, costs so
much more than a VFD. When a 3HP VFD for 220~240VAC input can be had for under
$300, why isn't a version that does absolutely nothing, no adjustments, no
variation, no programmability, but do the phase conversion not cost well under
$200 instead of a whole lot more?
If some company produced a box that was just a phase converter with an on/off
button and terminals for a remote switch as the only 'extras', and put a
$199.99 price on it, they'd be hard pressed to keep up with demand.

    On Tuesday, January 2, 2018, 9:33:50 AM MST, Dave Cole