Well, I hope if G76 is indeed broken it can be fixed?

Acme taps exist but are expensive.  They are usually two stage in order to get
the depth cut.  We can do rigid tapping on the Emco but not sure if we have
enough travel for the long tap and not sure we have enough torque at lower
speeds to pull it off.
Acme tap example:
(https://www.amazon.com/Alfa-Tools-AT66572-8-8-Acme/dp/B00DYFSH30)