On Sunday 28 January 2018 02:36:52 Marcus Bowman wrote:

> On 28 Jan 2018, at 07:00, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Saturday 27 January 2018 22:03:33 Eric Keller wrote:
> >> Bison maybe?  Currently considered to be pretty good, and priced
> >> accordingly.
> >
> > So I've noted already.
> >
> > All the Bisons I see today have a brass logo button inlaid in the
> > face. That does not exist and no place it was exists on this one.
>
> I have a TOS 4 jaw self-centring chuck for my mill (lives on a plate,
> and faces upwards, for use holding cylindrical stock facing upwards.
> That's Polish, but, like the Bison, has a round recessed glued-in
> badge. The quality is ok. Interestingly. my impression is that there
> arefewer Polish chucks for sale at the moment, because the centre of
> low cost production seems now to be India. Don't let me get started on
> 'quality'. I have a Burnerd Griptru chuck on my lathe. I bought it new
> in 1975, and I would defend the quality and accuracy against all
> comers. It's an adjustable device which uses 3 conical adjustment
> screws in the body to bear on a loose fitting backplate, and although
> it holds its accuracy on everyday tasks, it can be adjusted to within
> 0.001mm for any given diameter (let's say half a tenth, in old money).
> This supplier has a useful conversion kit for standard chucks up to 5
> inches http://www.hemingwaykits.com/acatalog/Adjustable_Backplate.html
> so I suppose you could make a device like that. It's one step up from
> adjustment with a machinist's hammer.

That, scaled up to fit a 7" and change looks like a good idea. But this
chucks mount bolts are in its outer edge, so the idea might have to be
inverted somehow. I'll try the enlarged holes in the plate idea first,
and rather than trying to dial the body, chuck up a second alu rod 1.75"
in diameter, (I bought 2 of them to make the jig for the ER-40 pieces
while they were being ground to correct so I've one 8"er left) and dial
that in at the chuck with the deadblow, then paper shim it for run-out
6" out. But that I think is going to require the plate be bored for all
6 bolts just so I've enough choices for places to shim. The thought also
comes to mind of straddling the bolt holes with about 4mm or 5mm
setscrews whose tips are polished flat, loosening the bolt and pushing
with the screws, then re-tighten that bolt. Wash, rinse and repeat for
every bolt that needs shimmed.

Biggest problem with the lower cost 3 jaw chucks is the small through
bore usually under 1.5". Which because this one can pass a 1.5"+
workpiece, makes it desirable to rescue it.

Or just give up and dial in the 4 jaw, like I've been doing for the 5" on
TLM for years. The Little Monster, is a cnc'd 7x12 with just about every
improvement ever done to one of those P.O.S. With such a small saddle
foot print, the last fix, tapered gibs, makes a decent small lathe out
of it. With a 1 horse motor, it can break drive parts in a heartbeat, so
the willow tree branch of a compound had to go. Now it has a block of
cast iron that can be rotated for tool tip offsets to keep the cutting
forces within the saddles footprint on the bed, that and the tapered
gibs has made a whole new lathe out of it. I made a similar but bigger
block for the Sheldon on it, same idea, rotate it on the crossfeed and
adjust the qc post to keep down force within the almost too narrow
crossfeed ways. All bets on tippage go out the window when the die
grinder with its heavy inline motor hanging 15" out to the rear is
mounted, but its at least repeatable, so its a shrug. The die grinder is
about 17" long, but the mount seems plenty rigid enough. It winds up
mounting in a std 250 series qc holder. Its a little bigger and heavier
than a black & decker #8, but considering its 15% of the cost of the b&d
was in the 1950's, has already outlasted 2 or 3 of the #8's. I'm amazed,
I must have more than 150 running hours on it, still running like new. I
dial the voltage down with a powerstat when I have bigger stones or a 4"
diamond disk mounted. A 1" alox stone does a fine job at 75 volts.

I ramble on a quiet Sunday morning, as always. Gotta have somebody to
talk to, the missus doesn't have the wind to carry on a real
conversation any more. And I think best sitting here "talking" about it.

But I'd better go see what I'm fixing for breakfast, and get some fresh
coffee under construction as it 9:14 locally.

Thanks Marcus.