On Sunday 28 January 2018 12:39:48 Jon Elson wrote:

> On 01/28/2018 01:36 AM, Marcus Bowman wrote:
> > I have a TOS 4 jaw self-centring chuck for my mill (lives on a
> > plate, and faces upwards, for use holding cylindrical stock facing
> > upwards. That's Polish,
>
> Actually, TOS is Czech, but supposed to be VERY good stuff.
> Their high-end chucks go for several thousand $.
>
> Jon

I have come to the conclusion, after taking this chuck apart, that its
possible it is a Bison, but well aged, made before they started inlaying
a brass logo disk in the face.  Its a 6.25" chuck.

The grease in it was much like cold crayons for consistency unless there
was a big gob of it that apparently settled to the bottom over several
decades without motion. Had a heck of a time getting the scroll disk out
as it fit so tight it bound in the hole if tilted 10 thou. Had to put a
bar of poly in thru the jaw slots, and drive it out 10 thou at a time
with a small hammer.

Turning the striped body over, I noted the serial number, 4670, was
splashed up 3 or 4 thou around the numbers, I knocked them down with a
smiths diamond plate, then cleaned the mill table and put it face down
on the mill. Lowered my CBN cup wheel down to pinch a sheet of 20 lb
under it, wrote a quick loop to drive it in a circle, dropping .0001"
for each pass around the circle. Then realized that the head likely
wasn't perfectly trammed, so I dropped a plug in the bore hole so it
could only move a quarter inch, then restarted the wheel and turned it
by hand, dropping it .0001" about every full turn. And I was right, tram
was off so it did all the kissing at about the left third of the wheel.
Kept that up for about a half hour, until the back face was clean all
the way around. Some of the bolt holes were pulled up around a thou for
a 1/4" around them. Washed it out clean with paint thinner, using a good
bit of a box of Scott towels, smeared some lithium based chassis grease
into the scroll's resting place, and had just as much fun re-seating it.
That fit could only be achieved useing chalk for the final abrasive,
I've done it on $8000 camera lenses. Cleaned up the pinions, greased the
scrolls teeth and the pinions and reinstalled those. Feels like well
greased fine machinery now. Put the scroll catcher rear center piece
back in, (I should mention I found one of those 3 bolts about a turn
loose when I took it apart), and it still turned sweet and smooth.

Cleaned up the jaws and reinserted them. Jaws can move maybe 5 thou
before running into the scroll, so there's no drag there. Put some of
that chassis grease in the face of the scroll while I could, then ran
half a teaspoon of stp into the ball oiler. Smooth and silky.

Looking at the backing plate, wishing I had a thicker one, I'll go see
TSC about 3 more bolts tomorrow so it will have a bolt in every hole.
They are spaced evenly, or at 60 degrees, but I'll have to use the mill
and holefinder routine to find the exact diameter of the circle, cutting
all the holes 15 thou bigger as I go. This will have to be done while
its clamped face down so I can use the holefinder.ngc to find the
x,y=0.00000 center of the bolthole circle by referencing the inside edge
of the smooth rear spindle hole. And find a flat, sacrificial to lay it
on letting the holddown clamps do the grounding. If I do the math right,
it ought to Just Work(TM). ;-)

We'll see how my luck holds out, as it will probably be Tuesday before I
can mount and try to adjust it. At the pace I work, I'll be doing good
to get all the holes milled to the new size and the bolts test fitted
tomorrow.

Thanks for reading this far, comment if you like. :)