On Sunday 18 February 2018 18:53:59 Chris Albertson wrote:

> Question:  What would be the preferred timing belt for a new design?
>
> Here is the application.  I'm making a z-axis control for a Harbor
> Freight mini mill (Sieg X2).   In this design a 5/8 diameter, 0.200
> pitch ball screw is fixed and the nut spins.  The nut is driven by a
> timing belt "about" 50 teeth and the motor has an about 25 tooth
> pulley.   I'm thinking a 400 in/oz. NEMA 23 stepper should work.
> Assuming the 2:1 reduction each 1.8 degree step lifts the head 0.0005
> inches.  By 1/4 stepping I get 0.000125 per pulse.
>
> When looking for a good design for the mini mill I was looking for a
> good place to put the ball screw.  This design places it very close to
> the dove tail, almost touching it.  Maybe 0.1 inch in front of the
> dovetail.  The ball screw goes right where the current rack it the
> original design.  I will have to remove the rack to fit the screw.
>
> So I need to select a belt type and size.   My initial guess at this a
> the GT2, 3mm pitch and 9mm wide.
>
> Some one else used a XL type 3/8 wide and 0.2 pitch but I'm reading
> that XL is not the best for new designs as GT2 has a much improved
> both profile that eliminates backlash.
>
> I started to calculate torque and load on the belt then thought "Why
> bother?" the actual force is going to be whatever the motor can do as
> I'll set the acceleration limits until it start skipping steps then
> back up by about 30% or so.   I might go with a NEMA 34 1100 in/oz
> motor if I need to.  So I might choose a belt that can handle whatever
> the 1100 in/oz motor can do.   Just looking to double check GT2, 3mm
> pitch and 9mm wide is reasonable.
>
> So I guess the best way to ask the question is what kind of belts are
> working well with motors in the 400 to 1100 in/oz. range.
>
> If there is any interest I'm modeling this in Fusion 360.  and can
> share the CAD files

Its been a while since I did my micromill, but ISTR I used the XL belt
and its quite tight. Like you, I spin the nuts, doubled nook bronze
ones, and my backlash stays below 3 thou. the screw is in front of the
post by about 1/2 the distance between the post and the edge of the
gearbox cover, which has been turned 90 degrees to get that clearance.
the motor is an 8 wire good for a bit over 300 oz/in.  Works well.  you
can see pix of it on my web page in the sig. The counter springing has
been reworked a bit but the rest of the pix are still valid.

Not a cad artist, so what you see came straight out of my head, quite a
few years ago now. I write my own gcode.