On 7 March 2018 at 14:55, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

> Price is scary, and still leaves the collet free to slip. I think I'd
> rather sacrifice an R8 by grinding a key slot into it for a cap screw in
> the side of a brass tap holder,

Or just make a complete R8.

Here is a 3D model (viewable online) of an idea.
http://a360.co/2Fl8AXO

It's a solid R9 bored for the tap shank with a slot milled through to
make flats to engage the tap flats.
(in theory you could mill only just deep enough to make a 3-sided
drive square).
And I guess with a bit more work, an insert to add a clampable 4th side.
But the design shown is a fairly simple bit of lathe work, with a
couple of simple milling ops.

I think that Aluminium would probably be entirely adequate.

--
atp
lunatics."