On Tuesday 06 March 2018 23:31:20 Jon Elson wrote:

> On 03/06/2018 10:05 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > It appears that its well nigh impossible to get a firm enough grip
> > on a tap shank, and on the smooth, unkeyed TTS ER-32 holder, to
> > reliably lock a tap for rigid tapping.  I've considered buying
> > ER-32's with square sockets, but for >8mm taps, the TTS
> > adapter/holder will spin in the R8.
>
> There are tap chucks that have a round shank, and will fit
> in collets or end mill holders.
> You can also take the handle out and use a standard tap
> handle in a collet or big Jacobs chuck, although come of
> them are not centered well.

I've tried that several times Jon, and the resultant eccentricity pretty
much makes a 9-32 hole using an 8-32 tap. That crap is stamped out of
wheel weights I think. Perhaps I could braze on an expansion sleeve,
then turn it true, bringing it up to 3/4 in diameter for better traction
in the R8. But whats needed as a universal fix, is an R8 to tap thats
keyed. I'm thinking of, when I can locate the square socket R8's, boring
it round for 1/2" or so, and only 5 thou bigger than the opposing corner
to opposing corner of the tap. That should hold the tap fairly true.

> I do rigid tapping with small taps, but have gone up to
> 10-32 without slipping.

A 10-32 in alu is usually ok, but an 8mm in steel is not a working setup
here, and this is with 15 to 17 inch long wrenches tightening the ER-32
nut. The limit there is the drawbar's teeny little square butt. I could
put an 8 point socket on it, but by the time its truly locked, I can
feel the threads on the bolt, or in the collet, giving way.  And gaining
access to replace the drawbolt in a G0704 is, because my spindle encoder
is in the way, not a very quickly done job.