On Saturday 31 March 2018 02:16:36 Marcus Bowman wrote:

> On 31 Mar 2018, at 04:20, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Just one question? Can you build this for less than you can buy it
> > from Mesa?  Or Pico? If you time is worth a buck an hour, its a slim
> > chance of yes. Very slim. Otherwise get it from a supplier that
> > supports us.
>
> +1 for that.
> I'm all for avoiding reinventing the wheel.
>
> Marcus

So am I Marcus, since we do have a really long menu/choice. Pico's
pwm-servo driver is a heck of a pm-dc spindle motor driver for up to
around 2 hp motors, does my 1's without a problem. And Mesa has a
plethora of reasonably priced fpga cards. The only Achilles Heel of
those is the 3.3 volt innards. The 5i25 can tolerate 5 volt i/o, because
it needs the std par-port bob to make its outside world connections, but
the 7i90HD needs the 7i42TA's to protect it from the 5 volt world and
its noises. They effectively are the circuit protection bobs. However,
with the 7i42TA's you also get a 10,000% easier wire-up as it has the
usually green stick the wire in the hole and tighten the screw
connection strips. That right there makes those aux cards worthwhile.
All you need to do is smash up some short 50 wire scsi-ii ribbon cables
to make the interconnections. I think my longest 50 pin cable is 5.5". I
stack mounted mine so all 4 cards are still pretty compact. With the 26
pin to the pi needing the pi turned over in order to face pin 1 to pin
1, and a video card fan under the pi, my 26 pin cable is under an inch
long.  And I've overclocked the pi from 700 to 800 mhz w/o any
instability or over heating.