On Saturday 31 March 2018 11:52:01 Chris Albertson wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 8:20 PM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
wrote:
> > On Friday 30 March 2018 20:34:52 Chris Albertson wrote:
> >

> > Just one question? Can you build this for less than you can buy it
> > from Mesa?  Or Pico? If you time is worth a buck an hour, its a slim
> > chance of yes. Very slim. Otherwise get it from a supplier that
> > supports us.
>
> The arm is not going to use MK or LCNC.   I'm using that on the
> machine tools
> but this arm needs more flexibility than offered by any of the machine
> tool controllers.   This is the high level control software I'll use
> if you are interested:
> https://moveit.ros.org/documentation/concepts/
> This pulse generator will be part of the blue box called "robot
> controllers"
>
> The trouble with Mesa in this case is that I'd have to write a whole
> bunch of FPGA code to make it into what they call a "joint trajectory
> action server"
>
> I thought about using G-code for the robots but they need to do things
> like notice you have set a beer can on the table then plan motion
> around the can. This has to happen in real time, you can't code the
> motion in advance
>
> There is not much to build.  A need to buy an ARM-M based board and
> than add a buffer chip to convert 3.3 volts to 5 volt TTL.  Cot should
> be <$20 total but if one of these works I can build it for under $5
> .ebay.com/itm/STM32F103C8T6
> <https://www.ebay.com/itm/STM32F103C8T6-ARM-STM32-Minimum-System-Devel
>opment-Board-Module-For-Arduino/162247218933?epid=532038167&hash=item25
>c6b016f5:g:ZXMAAOSwA3dYCJJd>
>

> Back to steps per second.   If the carriage moves at 90ipm, that is 38
> mm/sec, with a 5mm screw that means 8 turns per second.   or  1600
> full steps per second but perhaps you are doing 1/4 steps so it is
> 6400 steps/second.   Your machine with software steps is doing about
> 8X slower? with no more then 800 steps/second.   It looks like there
> is no need for more than 10K steps per second and half that might
> work.

I think its running 1/8 step. But my hand isn't anywhere near the good
book on that.  That machine also threw a drive fault, so got rebooted
when amanda screamed about a read-only drive this morning. I've a 60GB
SSD to put in it if its not the cable, which IIRC is red=trouble after
some time, copper and that bright red insulation dye do not tolerate
each other at all well. If the data cable is red, and a tail on the log
blows up when its touched, that dye has struck again.  Its beat me to a
pulp for the last 40 years starting with the J.A.Pan Co 2 way radio
microphone cables back in the early 70's. Use any other color but red
for a sata data cable.

> About jitter, if 3% of the period reduces torque and the fastest rate
> is 10KHz then only 3 uSec of jitter can be tolerated.

Since it regularly tolerates more than that with the speed limits
configured, I should have emphasized "bleeding edge" speeds. 10 ipm
isn't bleeding edge by any definition. 70+, maybe but its out of torque
from low motor voltage long before it gets up to that speed. I also have
homemade dampers on the rear shaft which on that machine helps a lot.
Right now, running latency-histogram on that machine, with a 25 us base
thread, the max deviation in about a ten minute run is -8.0 us to
+8.5us, but those wide times were maybe once in that 10 minutes. It
might exceed 3 us once a minute.