On Wednesday 09 May 2018 00:34:47 Jon Elson wrote:

> On 05/08/2018 10:04 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >>
> >> I have a program that generates a full circular arc, and
> >> then goes to the center of the arc.
> >> So, I can mill a path around the circle, then swap the end
> >> mill for a dial test indicator, and sweep the
> >> circle.  So, I can tram the head to the actual X-Y plane of
> >> motion, not just the surface of the table.
> >> And, in fact, due to wear, I get a little bit of a saddle
> >> shape there.  But, you can set the tram to
> >> get the best average of the X-X and Y-Y deviations.
> >>
> >> Jon
> >
> > And that, Jon, is the best idea yet. I assume you can adjust the
> > diameter so as to re-use the milled plate again for the next time?
>
> Yes, either change diameter or just cut the ring a little
> deeper each time.
>
> Jon

So for that, I'd need a plate 5.4719" wide in the y direction. (the cnc
kit costs some range of motion in the Y from the advertised travel as
I've added a bellows cover over the front of the base to keep swarf off
the screw, and the fixed anchor for the bellows stops the table from
coming forward)  Thats been a rather inconvenient limit, but it beats
having a huge open hole in the top of the base for swarf to fall into
and directly on the Y screw when its table is moved to the rear.

I have some 1/2" 7075t6 panel yet from scrapping out a pair of Ampex
VR-1200 2" vtr's. May have holes here and there already, but would be
good for such as this. Or I could get a 6x6x1/2" piece from an online
peddler. That would work but would need to be marked so the holddown
clamps were applied the same way everytime. Twould be sorta stupid to
assume its flat after they sheer off what I ordered. I'll look around
and see whats available.