Greetings everybody;

I have the grub screw bore & tap working except for on glareing problem.
I am using g38.2 to measure both the length of the drill, and the tap,
and I had set the depth of the tap so it went a little into the opposing
hole on the other side of the hat, and still left some taper at the end
of the threads I could feel the grub screws cutting into for the last
half turn to tight on the taps square butt.

But I just chose to use a 5 or 6mm tap with a square end, for blind holes
I assume. It working from the g38.2 measured length, went on thru to the
other hole and totalled the threads at the bottom of the opposing hole.
Diagnosing that I needed to stop it at least 2.5mm quicker, I put the
6mmx1 tap in the machine, also a square ended tap, and found the threads
were usable but had to get froggy with the wrench torque to get past the
tight spot at the bottom of the hole. This after I had reduced the g33.1
Z by 2.25mm.

So, since I'm measuring the mounted tap at its tip, is there any quick
way to make my code compensate for the taps tip profile?

Or do I add another var next to the tpmm to be added to the stroke,
possibly by calipering the tap tip from the tip to the first active
thread?

IOW, how do you folks deal with this?

Thanks for any thoughts.