It is not clear if your method would work in the general case.  "rest"
seems easy of doing a "waterline" type operate on a 3-axis mill.   But what
about a 5-axis machine?

I think the best way to program a rest tool path is to first transform the
part into a larger part thais is only roughed out.   You might do this by
moving every surface out in the normal direction my some amount like 1mm.
The you make that part using a roughing cutter.    Then swap cutters and
make the part as per the 3D model.     I don't think you need simulation.
But you do need to be able to move the surface out in the direction of the
surface normals.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California